Sunday, January 13, 2013

When I Hear Your Whistle a poem by Edward Abbey's Grandmother

Edward Abbey’s Grandmother, Eleanor Abbey wrote this poem in October 1918 to and about her husband Paul.

When I Hear Your Whistle



Oh I love to hear your whistle

When you're coming home at night,

Tho' the way be dark and dismal,

Or the stars are shining bright,



At times, you don't know it,

But it thrills me with delight

When I hear you gaily whistling

When you're coming home at night,



For I know your mind is merry

And I know your heart is gay

And I'm sure you've not been walking

In the paths that lead astray.



If your heart had lost it's music

And your smile had lost it's light,

You would never come a-whistling,

When you're coming home at night.



Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989), famous author of the Monkey Wrench Gang, and one of the early voices of Eco disobedience, is the author of the following three quotes.



"One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork. "


"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. "


"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets."

No comments:

Post a Comment