Cherry & Mesquite Cold-smoked La Reserva Tequila-cured Salmon
2 Large Salmon Filets
1-1/2 LB Kosher salt
1-1/2 LB Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 C Jose Cuervo La Reserva de La Familia Tequila
1. Scale the filets (this step is optional). Remove any finger bones and cut at least 6 1" long holes in the skin to allow penetration of the brine. Place salmon in a hotel pan
2. Mix brown sugar and salt well and spread over the salmon. Drizzle tequila over salmon. Place a second hotel pan on top of the salmon and place a approximately 6LB weight in the upper dish (I use a #10 can). Set both dishes on a baking sheet to catch drippings, and let cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
3. Remove from refrigerator and turn salmon over, scoop brine back on top to cover, place weighted pan back on top and let cure for 12 more hours.
4. Removes from refrigerator, rinse well, paper towel dry and place in clean baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in refrigerator for 1 more day.
5. Cold Smoke with Cherry wood chips soaked in apple juice.
6. When salmon is done smoking, lightly brush with olive oil. Serve sliced paper thin. If you have access to a food sealer, seal the salmon and refrigerate. Date sealed salmon; it will remain fresh for about two-and-a-half weeks.