Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Meanwhile Back at the Bread 8-9-11


Meanwhile Back at the Bread 8-9-11

So, I got a call from Kevin Binkley last week after dropping off a loaf of the bread at his smaller restaurant Café Bink. Kevin was awarded, The Best New American Chef of the West, by The James Beard Foundation, a few years back.

He did a stint at The French Laundry before opening up Binkley’s in Cave Creek. Both of his restaurants are among the finest in this part of the world. I had dropped off a loaf last week and had been chatting with Kevin for about a year about my bread project.

He called and left a message saying, basically, that my bread was wonderful and that he would like to come and spend a day baking with me to see what I was doing to get this kind of product…WOW! For me this is, about as good of a suggestion, that I’m headed in the right direction, as I can get!


I’ve spent the better part of a year working on my recipe and process. We are now getting a very stable product that has a distinct mild sour flavor. The crust is crunchy and chewy. And the bread has body along with a true develop wheat flavor. Last week we did 40 loaves and all of it was taken, so this week we went to 53 loaves. If it all goes next week we’ll do 64 loaves. After that we go to 2 days a week!

I’ll see you on the net!

Warmly,

Mad Coyote Joe

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see this taking off for you. The bread looks great. I can imagine the smell.

    When I was young, I used to help my mom make bread with an old fashion setup where you would sit down and turn the handle manually to mix the dough.

    ReplyDelete