Fennel, mushrooms, sausage, and a variety of cheeses and spices from around the world... what's not to like? You and your friends and family will love this dish.
1 Small fennel bulb, trimmed, rinsed and cut in half
2 TBL Olive Oil
2-4 OZ Italian sausage (hot or mild), grilled and chopped fine
4 CLOVES Garlic, minced
1 Large shallot, minced
1 C Minced Italian brown mushrooms
1 TSP Fresh minced rosemary
1/2 C Ricotta cheese
1/4 C Grated Romano cheese
1/4 C Italian parsley, chopped fine
1 TBL Basil, chopped fine
1 TSP Greek oregano
1 TSP Crushed red chile
2 Egg whites
1/4 C Water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the fennel in a covered baking dish that has been oiled with one TBS of olive oil. Season and grill-roast the fennel for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Over medium heat, sauté the garlic and shallots in the olive oil until just starting to brown, add the chopped mushrooms and rosemary. Continue to sauté until mushrooms turn golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
2. Chop the fennel very fine. In a mixing bowl combine the fennel, sausage, mushroom mixture, both cheeses, parsley, basil, oregano, and red chile. Season to taste and stir well.
3. Using a ravioli press set two egg roll wrappers on press covering eight of the holes and allowing a space between the wrappers. Press the dimples in the wrappers with the press. Spoon one level tablespoon of the filling into each of the ravioli. Whisk together the egg whites and water and brush all the seams of the ravioli.
4. Place top sheets on ravioli, roll out top to cut the pasta. Excess dough should tear away easily. Separate ravioli. In lightly boiling water cook the ravioli for five minutes. Drain and serve.
5. Makes 32 21/2-inch ravioli.