Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Writers Block


Holy Shit!

What takes a-hold of us and flushes our strength down the toilet? I wake up and I’m 52 and sitting on my ass instead of writing with all my strength. WOW! This is painful. I was in Bashas’ the other day and a local friend asked me what I was up to. I told him I had been writing. I’d like to say that is true but it’s a bald face lie. It’s been a few months since I’ve done any real work. It dawns on me as I write this, what purpose does this self-revelation serve? I want to wake up the writer… that’s it. I know he’s asleep and hope that by pointing out his weakness I’ll somehow be forced into waking him up.

Stay tuned kids for the future adventures of the writer known as Mad Coyote Joe

3 comments:

  1. I am trying to find your recipe for Chili Colorado, it's the best!
    Can you send it to me at
    charlsahanna@gmail.com
    PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear M.C.J.

    to quote an old friend...

    "Your life as an artist is meant to be a tortured journey"

    Kenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlsa is correct it is the best and so give the recipe below a try. Ken, amigo whe you're right, I'm right.

    Thanks
    The Right Reverend Mad Coyote Joe!

    Chile Colorado
    Mexican Red Chile

    Fantastic with fresh, hot corn tortillas, and an ice cold Tecate. As my late great father said, Beer so cold it hurts your teeth.
    This recipe is even better the next day in a burrito.


    18 mild red chile pods
    1 quart boiling water
    2 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup corn oil
    1 (4- to 5-pound) pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/4 cup flour
    3/4 cups chicken broth

    Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. Place the chiles on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 3 minutes, turning often to avoid burning, or toast on a warm comal. Place the chiles in a large mixing bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 10 to 12 minutes. Run the chiles a few at a time through the blender with a little of the soaking water until blended to a smooth paste. Repeat this process until all of the chiles and water are used, but in the last blending add the garlic, salt, oregano, and cumin. Set aside.
    In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil. Dredge the pork in the flour. Fry the pork over medium heat, turning often until all sides are browned. Add the chicken broth and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat, add red chile sauce, stir well, and cover. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, until the pork is quite tender.
    Serves 6

    ReplyDelete