This Sunday I played "Velveeta Elvis" by the great American Singer Songwriter Sparky Robinson. It got me thinking about the "King" and food the following comes to mind;
Photo from Sonoran Living 2002 on Elvis's birthday
Fried Sandwich with Peanut Butter and Banana
This was Elvis Presley’s favorite sandwich. He was reported to eat up to six of them at a time. These are delicious but you may want to talk with a heart surgeon first.
2 Slices of white bread
2 TBL Peanut Butter
1 Medium-sized banana, cut into thin slices
4 Slices of bacon, fried crisp, reserve a little of the drippings for frying the sandwich (the king said this was very important)
2 TBL Butter or Margarine
Romaine Lettuce leaves, sweet and sour pickles or corn-relish for garnish
1. Spread peanut butter on both slices of bread.
2. Place banana slices on one of peanut butter covered slices of bread.
3. Place the fried bacon on the banana slices and cover with second slice of bread, and press together lightly.
4. Butter the bread and fry until golden-brown and the banana and the peanut butter start to get soft.
5. Cut diagonally and serve garnished with lettuce leaves, corn relish and bread and butter pickles.