Authors note: Buy the DOP certified, San Marzano tomatoes, Yes they're $6 a can or more and it's the best $6 you can spend in your kitchen!
Basic Italian Red Sauce
Use this wonderful sauce on pizza, pasta, or meat.
6 C San Marzano tomatoes DOP certified (not American tomatoes)
3 TBL Extra virgin olive oil
4 CLOVES Garlic, whole
3/4 C Finely chopped white onion
1/4 C Red table wine
1/4 C Italian parsley, chopped fine
1/4 C Fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
2 TSP Greek oregano, dried
1 TSP Italian seasoning
1 TSP Brown sugar
1 TSP Crushed red chile
1 TSP Salt
Italian parsley, chopped fine
Fresh, grated Romano cheese
1. Put the tomatoes and their juices in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
2. In a large saucepan, simmer the onions and garlic in the olive oil over a medium-high heat until onions get soft and start to brown; stir occasionally.
3. Add the tomatoes and wine, Raise heat to a light boil for 7 minutes. Hold the lid above the pan, to stop spattering with one hand and stir with the other.
4. Reduce heat to low. Add parsley, basil, spices, sugar, chili and salt and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Garnish with Italian parsley and fresh grated Romano cheese.
6. Makes about 8C sauce.