Thursday, February 21, 2013

Doves Wyatt Earp and Bob Boze Bell


I stopped by True West Magazine yesterday to deliver bread.  My friend and mentor Bob Boze Bell was at his desk, as usual, and we were chatting about the snow storm.  Bob and I walked out on the big patio, in front and I took this picture of him.  I thought I'd throw in a historic recipe from the old west in honor of Bob.  
Doves Wyatt Earp
This said to be the original recipe that Wyatt Earp like to make and serve at the famous “Oreantal” saloon.  Before any of you western historians write me a snippy letter about it’s authenticity, I’ll give you another famous saying from the old west.  Don’t shoot me I’m only the cook.  Besides it’s very good!

10 Mexican White wing Doves or 2 Cornish game hens
1 medium Green cabbage chopped
1 cup cooked Lima beans
6 sliced carrots
1 large diced white onion
1 cup macaroni
6 medium potatoes
3 Tbl. butter
1 tsp. sage leaves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Water

Remove head, feet and entrails, then  pluck all feathers and singe off all hair feathers from ten Mexican white wing doves.  Cut the leg and back section apart from breast.  Brown the legs and breast in the butter in a large iron skillet.  Place the vegetables and doves with drippings and soy sauce in a large stock pot and add enough water to cover by two inches.  Bring to a low boil for about an hour and a half.  Remove doves and all vegetables from stockpot and place in a covered bowl to keep warm.  Add macaroni to remaining stock boil for ten minutes and serve as soup.  Serve the doves and vegetables as main dish with fresh baked bread and butter.
Serves 6-8           

No comments:

Post a Comment